Best summer holiday tips to North Karelia
Disc golf at a national park, steamship cruises of river Pielisjoki, Karelia pie baking at Bomba, rock festivals at Joensuu – there's a few examples on the wide selection of holiday activities in North Karelia. Pick out the general managers' best holiday tips for summer 2022!
Experience baths by lake Pielinen
The luxurious spa, wild nature and unique Karelian village with its log-built buildings charm you at Bomba. The center of the Karelian style village is the Bomba House with its exhibitions, boutiques and buffets.
Break Sokos Hotel Bomba's General Manager Sanna Tenhunen thinks that the best part about Bomba is its versatility. "Bomba is a true resort with its spa, beach, safari house and various activities. You can easily spend a few days here. The hotel's location by lake Pielinen is stunning and around an hour's drive away you can find four different national parks."
General Manager's holiday tips to Bomba:
1. Rent an eBike from Wild Nordic's safari house and head out on an adventure. You can buy snacks from the hotel and there are plenty of campfire places on the area.
2. Karelian Pie Workshop at Bomba House where you get to bake your own Karelian pies.
3. Valamo Wine Tasting where you taste Valamo Monastery Wines with Karelian style tasting plate.
4. Pielis-Golf's 9-hole golf course: a nice breeze during summer, more demanding on a windy day. This course was chosen as the best 9-hole course in Finland.
5. Bomba's summer market with events, boutiques selling handicrafts and summery treats
Rock and cruises on Joensuu
"In Joensuu summer is spent in parks, marketplace and by the river. Our hotels are located in perfect places considering your holiday in Joensuu. Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna by the marketplace of Joensuu and Original Sokos Hotel Kimmel by river Pielisjoki. Next summer the quality spa of Kimmel is opening, I'm eagerly looking forward of it", says the General Manager Kaija-Riitta Uusitalo. "There's a lot to experience in Joensuu and you can also rent a bike from our hotel for your summer tours around the city. Additionally, you can rent an electric scoot, 750 of them are arriving to the city this summer."
This summer 2022 will be the summer of events says Uusitalo. "Festival people are pampered with Osuuskaupparock in June and Ilovaari and Ilosaarirock festivals in July. In addition, there are the strongman world championships, Kalevan kisat sporting event and Extreme Run. Something for everyone."
General Managers summery tips to Joensuu:
1. Vip Cruise's steamship cruises on luxury steamship Paul Wahl. Scenic cruises are organized on the 29th of June and 3rd of August, five times per day starting from the passenger port
2. Try the freshly baked Karelian pies for the Martta café on the marketplace. In July you can also go to a guided Karelian pie workshop.
3. Taitokortteli arts & crafts center with its boutiques and cafés is a charming place and a must visit in Joensuu.
4. Original Sokos Hotel Kimmel's big summer terrace by river Pielisjoki, Bistro Heili's Piha with a terrace barbeque.
5. A tip for golfers: go for a round of golf on the beautiful Kontioniemi golf course.
Sibelius and disc golf surrounded by the national landscape
Break Sokos Hotel Koli is located on the top of Ukko-Koli. Some of the hotel rooms, the restaurant as well as the spa have views towards this ancient national view. The path to the three tops of Koli start from the hotel's yard, the first top can be reached within 15 minutes by foot. "Ukko-Koli, Akka-Koli and Paha-Koli, each with a view of their own", tells the General Manager Pasi Ripatti.
"Koli also has the only disc golf course within a national park in Finland. The unique course goes around the slopes of Koli overlooking the national landscape and also offers a physical challenge as there are plenty of height differences", Ripatti says.
General Managers holiday tips for Koli:
1. A trip to Hiekkasaaret on lake Pielinen. Canoes and SUP boards can be rented from the local activity companies.
2. The outdoor possibilities offered by the national park are suited for boths hikers as well as bikers
3. Kolin huipulla soi! Show & Dinner -event 17.6. The event awakes the sounds of Sibelius as the cellist Jussi Makkonen and pianist Nazig Azezian perform.
4. Koli Relax Spa – a scenic spa especially suited for adults overlooking the national landscape.
5. Scenic lift takes you down to the bottom station of the slopes where you can enjoy for example, the barbeque evenings of Rinnetupa.
For more information: Tiina Kanninen, Director of Tourism and Sales, tel. 50 440 3385, firstname.lastname@example.org