Sokos Hotels » Register declaration
Personal Data Act (523/99), Section 10
Date prepared: 9 December 2002
1. Register keeper
Name: SOK and the hotels and restaurants belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain from time to time
Contact information: SOK, P.O. Box 1, 00088 S GROUP, Finland,
Tel. + 358 10 76 8011
2. Contact person
Contact information: P.O. Box 1, 00088 S GROUP, Finland,
Tel. + 358 10 76 8011
3. Register name
Customer register of SOK and the hotels and restaurants belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain
4. Purpose of processing personal data (usage purpose of the register)
The register-keeper processes customers' personal data for the following purposes:
- managing and developing the customer relationship
- handling bookings
- payment; monitoring and collection of payments
- marketing of the register-keeper's goods and services
- development of the register-keeper's business and related development of customer service
- making customers' table reservations for dining and booking conference facilities
- monitoring and analysing information on customers' interests and on their choices and wishes concerning accommodation and dining as well as the development of customer service related to these areas
- registration of the functions and benefits according to the loyal customer programme
- catering to loyal customers' wishes and developing customer service as well as targeting services provided
- registering the benefits offered by partner companies belonging to the loyal customer programme.
Processing of personal data is based on the Personal Data Act, Section 8, Paragraph 1, Points 1, 2, 5 and 6.
5. Information content of the register
The following information on customers is collected and stored:
- customer particulars: name, date of birth, customer number, contact information (e.g. number of fixed-line and mobile telephone, email address and other electronic address data) for getting in touch; rank, degree, title or occupation/profession, language code, sex, citizenship, number of adults and children staying with the customer overnight as well as billing address information
- customer feedback information: indications of customer satisfaction, comments on the register-keeper's services and other information received with the customer's consent
- booking information (e.g. information on previously made bookings and future bookings)
- information on use of services: e.g. information on the use, purchase and cancellation of services and information on the hotel or restaurant where the customer has purchased a service
- information connected with the customer's wishes and choices: e.g. non-smokers' room or table, data on the calibre of the room and data on the services which the customer desires
- customer's mode of payment and payment behaviour data (including delinquent payment data) as well as billing information
- customer's consent to the use of personal data in direct marketing carried out by means of email, text messages and other automated systems
- information on refusal of direct advertising, distance sales and other direct marketing in accordance with the relevant legislation
- information on belonging jointly with the register-keeper, and companies that have entered into a co-operation agreement with it, to loyal customer and similar systems as well as the information that is necessary in order to receive a benefit under the system
- loyal customer card data (e.g. card number and expiry date)
- data on use of the register-keeper's services by card (e.g. overnight accommodation and purchases)
- points earned by a loyal customer and plus points paid
- information on hobbies and interests
Other information that can be collected with the customer's consent (e.g. information on customer-indicated mobility impairments, injuries and illnesses which are necessary to provide the service he/she requests).
6. Statutory sources of information
Information on customers is obtained with the customer's consent from the customer him-/herself (Personal Data Act, Section 8, Paragraph 1, Point 1) and for transactions connected with bookings and purchases of services which he/she requires (Personal Data Act, Section 8, Paragraph 1, Points 2 and 5).
Personal data can also be collected, stored and updated from the register kept by the Population Register Centre or some other register-keeper who offers address, updating and other similar services.
7. Statutory handing over of information and transfer of information outside the EU or the European Economic Area.
Personal data on customers is handed over, as provided for in the statutes, to the bonus system for SOK's customer-owner services as well as to the companies and institutions that have made a co-operation agreement with the register-keeper.
The customer's personal data are also handed over and transferred outside the European Economic Area when this is required in order to provide the accommodation or other service requested by the customer. Handing over and transfer of said information is based on the customer's consent and order for services (Personal Data Act, Section 23, Points 1 and 2).
Customers' personal data are made available, as provided for in the statutes, to the marketing registers of SOK and the hotels and restaurants belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain after the business contact between the register-keeper and the customer has lapsed.
8. Principles of protecting the register
A. Manual material
Material in manual form is kept on the premises of SOK and each of the hotels belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain, in rooms that are locked and protected by surveillance.
B. Data stored in EDP systems
Authorisation to use the register is given only to those employees of SOK and the hotels belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain, who require the information in carrying out their work. They are issued with user IDs and passwords.
Information residing in the S Group's closed network, which is protected by a firewall.
INFORMATION PROVIDED TO CUSTOMERS UNDER THE PERSONAL DATA ACT, SECTION 24
The register declaration setting out the customer register of SOK and the hotels belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain is available for public inspection at the office of SOK at the address P.O. Box 1, 00088 S GROUP, Finland and on the company's website at www.sokoshotels.fi. The register declaration is also available at each hotel belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain.
Right to examine and right to correct erroneous information
The customer has the right to examine information on him/her that is in the customer register. Whenever customers wish to exercise their right to examine, they must send a signed examination request to SOK at the address mentioned above. The customer can also come in person to SOK or any hotel belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain, bearing a document verifying his/her identity. When submitting a request to examine, customers must give their name, address and telephone number. SOK will send a written response to the customer within 30 days of the date when the customer has come in person to SOK or to a hotel belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain, or counting from the date when the customer's written request to examine has arrived at SOK or a hotel belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain.
If there are errors in the data concerning the customer, the customer can present a request to correct the error to SOK and any hotel belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain.
Right of refusal
The customer has the right to refuse to allow the register-keeper to process information on him/her for the purpose of direct advertising, distance sales and other direct marketing. The customer can indicate said refusal by making written notification to SOK at the address P.O. Box 1, 00088 S GROUP, Finland or by calling on +358 20 1234 600.
The Sokos Hotels chain
Information on the hotels and restaurants currently belonging to the Sokos Hotels chain is available by calling on +358 20 1234 600 and on the website of the Sokos Hotels chain at the address www.sokoshotels.fi.